The audience of a typical ComedySportz match has everyone from kids to grandparents and from grade schoolers to college students. Everyone has a good time and no one gets offended. We are the perfect improv entertainment choice for the entire family or a first date.
All ComedySportz matches are Rated E for Everyone.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can I bring to a ComedySportz match?
- Anyone. Seriously.We are Rated E For Everyone and our target audience is ages 8 – 80, so the younger crowd and grandparents alike will all have a great time. Our matches feature clean comedy and we even have fouls in place to keep it that way! Plus, we were voted Best Inexpensive Place to Bring A Date and Best Comedy Club in the 2009 River Cities’ Reader Best of the Quad Cities poll, so you know we’re doing something right.
- Do you serve food?
- The Establishment Theatre proudly serves Huckleberry’s Pizza (full pies or by the slice) at our bar before the match and it will be ready for you at the bar during halftime. We also have a variety of candy and chips available.
- Oh, so you have a full bar too?
- Yes! The Establishment Theatre offers a full bar with some of the friendliest bartenders in the whole Quad Cities. We proudly serve Pepsi products in addition to special drink offerings including energy drinks.
- Do you do shows all year long?
- The competitive world of improv comedy has no off-season. We perform shows every Friday & Saturday night all year long – weather permitting. If the weather outside is indeed frightful, contact our box office to inquire as to the status of that evenings matches.
- Do you ever have any special shows or events?
- Yes! You can sign up for our e-mail list through our Online Form as well as stay tuned to our website, Facebook, & Twitter for updates as to when we will be having a special show or event.We generally have themed shows around the holidays as well as a free show for military families over Veteran’s Day Weekend. We also launched a long form improv show back in February 2010, as well as debuted our Minor League. Most recently, we debuted our new children’s show, Once Upon A Blank - improvised fairy tales for kids!
- How long have you been in the Quad Cities?
- We are the longest running show in the Quad Cities – ever, having been founded in 1990, and are currently in our 21st year. Be sure to visit our History page for more background information on ComedySportz.
- Are you an actual sport?
- Yes, we are. A sport, by definition, is any athletic activity requiring skill where teams or individuals engage in competition to attain a victory by points (or other forms of scoring).That’s what we do.
- Is there other employment besides as a player?
- Yes! We’re always looking for people with great personalities to join our team! The following positions are now available (must be free weekend nights 6 – 9:30 p.m.): Intern - We are looking for a college-aged, high energy, hard working individual to join our team. Your duties will include assisting the House Manager, Stage Manager, Bartender, & Referee during our matches as well as assisting the Office Manager with duties as needed. While this position is unpaid, the experience gained is invaluable as you will receive free improv training with our troupe as well as free admission to all our matches during your time with us.
- What if I still have more questions?
- Then go ahead and give us a call at (309) 786-1111 or fill out the handy form below
ComedySportz Quad Cities loves celebrating the important moments in your life with you. When making your reservations, be sure to let us know if you’ll be joining us for your birthday, bachelor or bachelorette party or if you’re planning a group outing for boy scouts, girl scouts, work or your religious organization. Our theatre is also available to rent for larger parties such as company outings, family reunions, church events and even weddings.
If you would like more information about booking a group, renting the theatre or celebrating your special day with ComedySportz, give us a call at 309-786-1111 or fill out the form below.
WORLD COMEDY LEAGUE
- 2007 World Comedy League Champions (Quad City BlackJacks)
- 2002 World Comedy League Champions (Quad City BlackJacks)
- 1998 World Comedy League Co-Champions (Team America)
- 1997 World Comedy League Champions (Quad City RiverRats)
- 2004 ComedyCity Sooper Bowl of Comedy Co-Champions
- 1999 ComedySportz Sooper Bowl of Comedy Champions
- 2008 ComedySportz March Madness Finalist
- 1995 ComedySportz World Series of Comedy Finalist
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- 2013 Locals Love Us – Best Couples Entertainment
- 2012 Quad Cities Chamber Small Business of the Year
- 2011 River Cities’ Reader Best of the Quad Cities: Best Local Stage Production
- 2011 River Cities’ Reader Best of the Quad Cities: Best Place to Bring A Date
- 2011 Q-C Times Readers’ Choice Awards – Top 3: Best Live Theater in the Q.C.
- 2011 Q-C Times Readers’ Choice Awards – Top 3: Best Adult Entertainment
- 2011 Q-C Times Readers’ Choice Awards – Top 3: Best Night Club
- 2011 Q.C. PAWS – Top Dog Donor
- 2010 Festival of Trees Parade – Best Holiday Cheer
- 2010 Rock Island Labor Day Parade – Council Choice Award
- 2010 – ComedySportz Day Proclamation in Rock Island, IL: May 15, 2010
- 2009 River Cities’ Reader Best of the Quad Cities: Best Comedy Venue
- 2009 River Cities’ Reader Best of the Quad Cities: Best/Inexpensive Place for a Date
- 2009 River Cities’ Reader Best of the Quad Cities: Favorite Comedian(s)
- 2009 Rock Island Labor Day Parade – Mayor’s Choice Award
- 2009 Q-C Times Readers’ Choice Awards – Top 3: Best Family Entertainment
- 2009 Q-C Times Readers’ Choice Awards – Top 3: Best Adult Entertainment
- 2009 Q-C Times Readers’ Choice Awards – Top 3: Best Live Theatre
- 10Best.com – Editor’s Choice Award: #2 Best Nightlife for Quad Cities, IA/IL
- 2001 – 2008 River Cities’ Reader Best of the Quad Cities: Voted Top 5 – Best Theatre
- 2000 – D.A.R.E. Community Leadership Award
- 1998 – Q-C Times #1 Best Thing About The Q.C.
- 1997 – ComedySportz Day Proclamation in Rock Island, IL: August 9th, 1997
The Early Years
ComedySportz Quad Cities was founded in 1990 when Circa ‘21 Dinner Playhouse brought a franchise to the Quad Cities by holding an open audition. Soon after, the ComedySportz Rock Island River Rats were formed, and out of that original audition three of those performers still play with the team today. Following a six month run on the Circa ’21 stage, the troupe moved into the Rock Island Brewing Company (RIBCO).
The Mid 90′s and Early 2000′s
Quickly gaining a loyal following by June of 1991, the troupe moved into the theatre space adjacent to Circa ’21. The venue was officially renamed the ComedySportz Arena in 2000 & the team was renamed the ComedySportz Quad City BlackJacks at the same time. In addition to winning four WCL Championships, ComedySportz enjoyed other success with the creation of a game show, a television show, hosting many local theatre productions as well as three WCL Tournaments, regularly performing for charitable organizations, launching a ate night improv series, & even spawning two successful spin-off troupes - Guys In Ties and MoC: Monsters of Comedy.
2 Decades. 2 Funny
In May and June of 2010, ComedySportz Quad Cities reached a major milestone by celebrating its 20th Anniversary. Many special events commemorated the occasion including a declaration of ComedySportz Day in Rock Island. The festivities culminated with a special Throwback Match followed by an alumni filled celebration the following night honoring both our two decades in the area and all of our loyal fans, who have remained so incredibly supportive.
The Big Move
On August 24, 2010, following a thorough search of venues and the completion of theFundraising Tour, ComedySportz Quad Cities, Ltd., officially found a new home in The District of Rock Island.
Joining the Establishment
Following an unprecedented unanimous vote by alderman and the Rock Island City Council, renovations began immediately at the former Rocket Theater in The District of Rock Island – with the assistance of the Development Association of Rock Island (DARI) and the City of Rock Island – to turn the venue into the new home of ComedySportz. The venue was officially renamed The Establishment Theatre in October, 2010,following the Quad-City wide Rename The Rocket Contest. ComedySportz Quad Cities resumed play on Wednesday, November 24 , 2010, at The Establishment Theatre Opening Night Event and our opening weekend of matches. Over 600 fans packed the renovated venue easily selling out all three matches in advance. Fans were treated to prize giveaways donated by local businesses and a special 10 minute retrospective & thank you video honoring them for their continued support. A local high school marching band then played the performers onto our new stage.
ComedySportz Quad Cities holds matches every Friday and Saturday night at 7 p.m., only at The Establishment Theatre.
- “Dazzling…an increasingly artful and popular form of entertainment” – Sports Illustrated
- “The funniest sport you’ll ever see.” – Nike.com
- “If you haven’t seen it, you should.” – NBC
- “Part slapstick, part gladiatorial combat, part creative chaos, & all high-octane silliness.” – American Theatre Magazine
- “…it’s a huge hit with audiences.” – 10Best.com
- “The perfect release…innovative, participatory and hilarious.” – USA Today
- “…what a prize the Quad-Cities has in ComedySportz.” – Quad-City Times
- “Absolutely amazing…the highest rating and most glowing reviews of the festival, bar none.” – Traverse City Comedy Arts Festival
- “…above all, they really cracked people up.” – The Dispatch/Argus
- “When it comes to comedy in the Quad Cities, the name is ComedySportz.” – Moline Kiwanis Club